How to Write an Informal Essay
An informal essay is aimed to express your opinion on a particular topic in a less formal, sometimes even entertaining manner. It does not mean that these essays cannot be argumentative or research-based, for example, but the main point is that you’re free to use a conversational style of writing.
Write an Informal Essay in Four Steps
- Before starting to write your informal essay, think of the kind of essay format you would like to use. If you want to convince your readers of a certain philosophy, use persuasive essay format. Want to express your mind about some event, experience, and so on? Use a reflective essay format. Discover what way you want design your essay.
- When writing your introduction, keep in mind that your writing style should not be that formal, so you are free to use different writing devices like humor or anecdotes, real-life stories and quotes by famous people in order to catch the readers’ attention. Nevertheless, your thesis statement should be clear – do not make your readers think for a long time about the key idea of your essay.
- Your body paragraphs also should not be written too seriously. Even conversations between characters are welcomed if, for example, you’re writing on a fictional topic. Write in an interesting manner – this is your rule number one! Think more about the content than about the structure of your essay.
- When writing your conclusions, remember to still create a poignant ending. Your readers should not only read your final remarks, but feel them. There is a strong need for you to be sincere, to use simple sentences and at the same time interesting ones.
Useful Tips for Informal Essay Writing
- Keep in mind that informal essays can be written in the first person, so using “I think that…”, “In my opinion…”, “I believe…” are welcome.
- Sentences of your essay should not be too long, especially in the case of run-on sentences. At the same time – not too short. Varying your sentence lengths is a good practice.
- Reread your essay at the end of your writing process. Ask yourself whether the tone is too formal or too informal. Make all necessary changes if needed.
- Add personality to your essay! Don’t know what it means? Well, an informal essay gives you a chance to “personalize” your writing, using words and phrases which are used only by you. In this way, you will have a unique piece of writing on a particular topic. Be creative!
Now you know the main rules and tips of informal essay writing. To have a clearer understanding how an informal essay should be written, check our informal essay examples.